Updated: Oct 10, 2020
La Jolla Tribal Elders Hall & Education Facility
La Jolla Band of Luiseno Indians 22000 Highway76
Pauma Valley, CA 92061
SECTION I - INTRODUCTION
The La Jolla Band of Luiseno Indians is requesting competitive statements of qualifications and proposals from licensed architectural and engineering firms for the development of design and construction documents, and construction management for the La Jolla Tribal Elders and Education Facility. Upon completion the improvements will provide for a 10,000 square foot facility. Engineering will be required for Elders Hall and parking improvements, septic system installation, water storage and distribution. All elements of the design and construction process must meet Standard Terms and Conditions of the La Jolla Band of Luiseno Indians. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with a statement of qualifications. Please contact Mark D. Webb at 951-501-9198 or email email@example.com with any questions.
SECTION II - SCOPE OF WORK
The Design Professional Services Team in coordination with the Tribe, will guide the design and construction of the new La Jolla Tribal Elders & Education Facility. The project will include, but is not limited to approximately 10,000 square feet of building area, onsite parking, drainage, lighting, large kitchen, landscaping; and street frontage improvements.
The Design Professional Services Team will be required to integrate sustainable strategies and features into the design to minimize the energy consumption of the Elders/Education Facility. In addition, it is the Tribe's intent to have a facility design which conserves resources, minimizes adverse effects to the environment, and improves occupant productivity, health, and comfort to reduce the total cost of ownership of the building over the life of the facility.
The selected Design Professional Services Team will be required to coordinate with the Tribal Council, or their designees, on the project and frequent status meetings will be required throughout the project.
The Design Professional Services Team will be required to develop conceptual designs for a facility that will accommodate Tribal Elders and Tribal Youth’s anticipated needs using industry standards, project experience, and input from Tribe and Elders and Education department staff.
In addition to preparation of construction documents, specifications, construction cost estimates, and timelines, the Design Professional Services Team shall respond to all questions posed by prospective bidders during the construction bid process. The Design Professional Services Team shall also prepare and distribute any necessary addenda, shall evaluate all bids and shall make a recommendation to the Tribal Council, or their designee, regarding who the architect believes has the best responsive and responsible bid, with supportive reasoning.
The Design Professional Services Team will work with the Tribe to expedite building design and construction documents for permit approvals. The Design Professional Services Team will also administer the construction contract and make periodic site visits during construction, as identified in the scope of work. An agreement between the Tribe and the selected Design Professional Services Team will outline the full requirements and expectations of the project.
SECTION Ill - PROJECTED SELECTION SCHEDULE
Issue RFQ September 23, 2020
Deadline for Statement of Qualifications (SOQ)------------------------ October 17, 2020 by 4:30 PM
Interview Top Firms--------------------------------------------------- October 21- October 25, 2020
Anticipated Project Award------------------------------------------- November 25, 2020
SECTION IV - INSTRUCTIONS TO PROPOSERS
A. All SOQs shall be sent to:
B. Any additional information or addenda to this RFQ will be issued by prior to the submittal deadline. The Tribe e-mail such information directly to known interested parties.
C. SOQs should be prepared simply and economically, providing a straightforward, concise description of the Design Professional Services Team capabilities to satisfy the requirements of the request. All qualifications must include the following information:
1. A cover letter/statement of interest indicating the Design Professional Services Team interest in the project and highlighting its qualifications to perform the work.
2. A brief overview of the company. The company must have provided design, bid, and construction services for at least five (5) other similar facilities (minimum of two (2) in the last five (5) years), be licensed in the State of California, and provide proof upon request.
3. A proposed approach to the project including key activities, milestones, and potential challenges or areas of concern.
4. Related experience with similar types of projects and specific qualifications.
5. Provide resumes of key team members and sub-consultants including roles and qualifications. Identify the project lead, their availability to start work on the project, and their ability to complete the work without interruption from other projects or commitments. Describe coordination and relationships with sub-consultants.
6. Examples of at least three (3) relevant Elders/Education projects completed by the Design Professional Services Team. Including:
□ Project Name, Location, and Photographs
□ Summary of Scope/Services Provided
□ Project Size and Construction Value
□ Duration of Project
□ Primary Contact's name and contact information
7. At least five (5) references including entity name, contact person, and telephone number.
8. A statement verifying the Design Professional Services Team's ability to execute contract upon award.
9. A statement verifying that your firm has not been suspended or disbarred from Federal work.
10. Written proof of insurance requirements (Section VII).
SECTION V - SELECTION CRITERIA
The Design Professional Services Team will be selected by the Tribal Council. The following may be used to evaluate the applicants:
A. Demonstrated experience and expertise in Elders and Education facility design. Success in designing facilities that meet all regulatory requirements and are completed within budget.
B. Previous overall experience of team members assigned to the project.
D. General impressions and presentation of qualifications.
E. Demonstration of understanding of the project and its phases of development.
F. Demonstration of ability to meet timelines.
SECTION VI -TERMS AND CONDITIONS
A. The Tribe reserves the right to reject any and all SOQs.
B. The Tribe reserves the right to request clarification of information submitted and to request additional information from any firm.
C. The Tribe reserves the right to award any contract to the next most qualified Design Professional Services Team if the successful Design Professional Services Team does not execute a contract within two (2) weeks of being awarded the contract.
D. The contract resulting from acceptance of a SOQ by the Tribe shall be in a form supplied or approved by the Tribe and shall reflect the specifications in this RFQ. The Tribe reserves the right to reject any proposed agreement or contract that does not conform to the specifications contained in this RFQ, and which is not approved by the Tribe's Attorney.
E. The Tribe shall not be responsible for any costs incurred by the Design Professional Services Team in preparing, submitting, or presenting its response to this document.
SECTION VII - INSURANCE REQUIREMENTS
A. Proposers will be required to meet the following insurance requirements to be considered for selection. The Design Professional Services Team must place insurance with carriers who have a current A.M. Best rating of not less than A: VII or other industry rating which is satisfactory to the Tribe:
1. Workers' compensation and employer's liability insurance in amounts sufficient pursuant to the laws of the State of California;
2. Commercial general liability insurance shall cover liability arising from premises, operations, independent contractors, personal injury, and advertising injury. The Tribe shall be named as an additional insured under the Design Professional Services Team Commercial General Liability insurance policy with respect to the work performed for the Tribe. Commercial General Liability insurance shall be written with limits no less than $2,000,000 each occurrence and $4,000,000 general aggregate.
3. Automobile liability insurance covering all owned, non-owned, hired, and leased vehicles. Coverage shall be written to provide equivalent liability coverage. If necessary, the policy shall be endorsed to provide contractual liability coverage, with a minimum combined single limit for bodily injury and property damage of
$1,000,000 per accident.
4. Professional liability insurance appropriate to the Design Professional Services Team profession with limits of no less than $2,000,000 per claim and $2,000,000 policy aggregate limit.
B. The insurance policies for Commercial General Liability and Automobile Liability shall contain the following endorsements or provisions:
1. The Design Professional Services Team insurance coverage shall be primary insurance in respect to the Tribe.
TheDesignProfessionalServicesTeaminsuranceshallnotbecancelledbyeitherparty, except after thirty (30) days prior to written notice by certified mail, return receipt requestedandhasbeengiventotheTribe.TheDesignProfessionalServicesTeamshall furnish the Tribe with original certificates and a copy of the amendatory endorsements, including without limitation, the additional insured endorsement evidencing the insurancerequirementoftheDesignProfessional ServicesTeam before commencement of the services. The Design Professional Services Team failure to maintainsuchinsurancepoliciesshallbegroundsfortheTribetoimmediatelyterminate theProfessionalServicesAgreement.AllfinalConstructionContractswillbesubjectto the Tribe'sapproval.